- Based on my research, tests, and overall customer reviews, here are my picks:
- The Ultimate and Effective Editor’s Pick: Optimum Nutrition Platinum Hydrowhey
- The Delicious Alternative: Perfect Keto Base Chocolate Sea Salt
- The Affordable and Efficient: Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard
- The Huge Upgrade and Best Quality: Naked Whey Grass-Fed
- The Best For Bodybuilders: MusclePharm Combat Whey
- Clean Protein At Its Finest: Jay Robb’s Egg White Protein
- The Healthy and Inexpensive: Designer Whey Premium
- The Healthy and All-Natural: Garden of Life Meal Replacement
- The Best for Plant-Based Bodybuilders: Vega Sport
- The Delicious and Refreshing: BPI Sports Best BCAA Powder
- The Benefits Of Keto Protein Powders
- What to Look For
- Tips on Using
Protein powder is a quick way to get your protein in, but it also comes with a lot of carbs and sugar that hinders your progress in the keto diet! Fortunately, there are keto-friendly protein powder brands that help build muscle while staying in ketosis. Read on as I show you the top ten choices to help you reach your goals!
Based on my research, tests, and overall customer reviews, here are my picks:
|Image||Product name||Key Features||Our Rating||Price|
|Optimum Nutrition Platinum Hydrowhey Protein Powder||5/5|
|Perfect Keto Base Chocolate Sea Salt||5/5|
|Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey Protein Powder||5/5|
|Naked Whey Grass-Fed Whey Protein Powder||4.5/5|
|MusclePharm Combat Whey||4.5/5|
|Jay Robb’s Egg White Protein Powder||4/5|
|Designer Whey Premium Natural Whey Protein||4/5|
|Garden of Life Meal Replacement||4/5|
|Vega Sport Protein Powder||4/5|
|BPI Sports Best BCAA Powder||4/5|
1The Ultimate and Effective Editor’s Pick: Optimum Nutrition Platinum Hydrowhey
What makes Optimum Nutrition my ultimate favorite is because of its excellent taste and creamy consistency that is often sought after in protein powders. It is easy to mix into my shakes or liquids, and it doesn’t stick to the spoon when mixing.
As for effectiveness, it certainly gives me that energy boost needed for recovery. After all, it’s made of whey protein isolates that deliver nutrients into the body fast. And with 30 grams of pure protein and nine grams of BCAAs, it improves gym performance while keeping me satiated.
While it is a bit expensive, you get more than what you pay for because it contains hydrolyzed whey while still maintaining its taste. It’s definitely worth the investment!Check Price on Amazon
- Mixes easily
- Great taste
- Works efficiently and great for recovery
- Contains pure protein, protein isolates, and BCAAs
- High price
- Some complaints about its smell
2The Delicious Alternative: Perfect Keto Base Chocolate Sea Salt
The Perfect Keto Base Chocolate Sea Salt is beneficial for those who want to remain in ketosis. This is because it contains exogenous ketones that encourage the body to enter into ketosis. I’ve tested it—and it works perfect—raising my blood ketone levels while improving performance and training. With NO carbs or sugars whatsoever, it still keeps me full while improving my overall health.
It mixes quite easily with any liquid—be it coffee, milk, or water. Compared to any other zero-carb powder, the state is next to none. I highly recommend this for those who are serious about their keto diet.Check Price on Amazon
- No carbs, sugars, or fillers
- Easy to mix with liquids
- Improves mental and physical performance
- Suppresses appetite for effective weight loss
- Has a weird aftertaste
- Expensive for a small container
3The Affordable and Efficient: Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard
Optimum Nutrition is one of the best brands to trust when it comes to protein powders, with the Gold Standard being no exception. While it isn’t the Premium Standard which comes with 30 grams of protein and nine grams of BCAAs, it’s more affordable and with similar effects. It contains 24 grams of pure protein and 5.5 grams of naturally occurring BCAAs. It also has four grams of glutamine per serving.
Another plus is that it is gluten-free and comes in various sizes with tons of flavors to choose from. I prefer the double rich chocolate because it’s not too sweet and works well with milk or just water—tasting much like chocolate milk. I love everything about it!Check Price on Amazon
- Delicious taste and fantastic consistency
- Comes in different flavors and sizes
- Reasonably priced for its size
- Contains all the protein, BCAAs, and glutamine needed
- Gluten-free and keto-friendly
- Some complaints of stomach issues
- Not the best to take before sleeping
4The Huge Upgrade and Best Quality: Naked Whey Grass-Fed
For those who want the healthiest whey protein available, Naked Whey is an excellent choice. Why? Because it comes with only ONE ingredient—no additives or artificial flavors whatsoever. It’s gluten-free, soy-free, GMO-free, and growth-hormone free, making it suitable for just about anyone. It contains 25 grams of all-natural whey protein with only two grams of sugar and three grams of carbs, making it keto-friendly. Additionally, it provides 5.9 grams of BCAAs for optimum performance during training sessions.
It’s a fantastic product having an authentic taste with a natural vanilla flavor.Check Price on Amazon
- Gluten and soy free
- Contains NO additives
- Fewer carbs and sugar compared to other protein powders
- Natural taste
- Sometimes shipped without a safety seal
- A bit difficult to mix without a blender
5The Best For Bodybuilders: MusclePharm Combat Whey
If you’re looking for something that tastes great and contains all the protein you need—including isolates and BCAAs—MusclePharm Combat is the ultimate choice. This product is best for bodybuilders looking for muscle recovery and better performance. It is also perfect as a pre and post-workout meal.
This has been tested and certified by Informed Choice, so even athletes can use it without issues. It offers real value for your money!Check Price on Amazon
- Doesn’t taste chalky and mixes well
- Contains a mix of both whey and casein
- Reasonably priced for more than 50 servings
- Perfect for athletes
- The cappuccino flavor contains instant coffee
- Maybe too thick for some people
6Clean Protein At Its Finest: Jay Robb’s Egg White Protein
What I appreciate about Jay Robb’s protein powder is that it contains pure egg white protein, having just the right amount of protein and without the extra carbs or sugar. The egg whites contain protein while encouraging muscle growth and metabolism boost. It is perfect for those wanting to reach their fitness goals without hindrance.
Additionally, this protein powder comes in different flavors, including an unflavored version that can be added to smoothies for better consistency without an aftertaste. It doesn’t have an effect on my stomach, and I’ve had a significant increase in performance, making it a sound investment for those who want to get their protein fix without too many ingredients.Check Price on Amazon
- Tastes terrific and comes in unflavored packs
- Pure egg white protein for better performance
- Supports metabolism and suppresses appetite
- Affordable price
- A bit clumpy and difficult to mix
- Some complaints on migraines from xylitol
7The Healthy and Inexpensive: Designer Whey Premium
Designer Whey is made from real cow’s milk, free from artificial growth hormones and sourced from Midwest farms. It is low in calories and contains 20 grams of protein—great for muscle building and weight loss. It includes GMO-free whey protein concentrate and whey protein isolates for quick release before and after a workout. It has NO added sugar, is gluten-free, and suitable for almost any diet.
Designer Whey is inexpensive compared to other protein powders out there and comes with a delicious taste that satisfies chocolate cravings without the considerable amount of calories.Check Price on Amazon
- Delicious chocolate flavor
- Inexpensive price
- Gluten and GMO-free for health
- No artificial sugar or flavorings
- Contains protein from cow’s milk
- Tastes a bit chalky
- Not as much protein as other brands
8The Healthy and All-Natural: Garden of Life Meal Replacement
If you want on-the-go nutrition made of clean and natural ingredients, then the Garden of Life Meal Replacement is a perfect choice. It contains 20 grams of organic plant protein so it’s suitable for vegetarians on a keto diet who still want their fix of protein. It also has 44 superfoods to keep you full for longer, and filled with nutrition to keep your body energized.
Garden of Life Meal Replacement protein powder contains probiotics and 21 vitamins and minerals for boosting mental clarity and improving lean muscle mass. It’s best for vegetarians or anyone who just wants to enjoy clean eating while still getting their protein fix.Check Price on Amazon
- Helps with mental clarity and lean muscle mass
- Contains different vitamins, minerals, and probiotics
- Organic plant protein for vegetarians
- Very healthy and good taste
- Lumpy consistency
9The Best for Plant-Based Bodybuilders: Vega Sport
Bodybuilders on the keto diet will benefit from the Vega Sport Protein Powder because it contains all the protein and vitamins the body needs without excess carbs. It’s a plant-based protein powder made out of whole ingredients suitable for vegans. Made out of peas, hemp, and flax seeds, it has the complete amino acid profile and all the nutrients needed for a full day. Great taste and easy to mix. Highly recommend!Check Price on Amazon
- Contains whole food ingredients for nutrition and protein
- Has natural flavors that speed up muscle recovery
- Easy to mix
- Very high price
- Some people don’t like the sweetness of it.
10The Delicious and Refreshing: BPI Sports Best BCAA Powder
If I were to rate protein powders by taste, BPI Sports has the best and most unique flavors for a refreshing post-workout drink Watermelon Ice is a fantastic flavor that can be added to ice-cold water for hydration and protein. It gives me the best improvement in performance and muscle building, thanks to its BCAA formulate that breaks down quickly, promoting fast workout recovery. All in all, you’ll love its flavor, the way it mixes well, and the different ways it can be used while maintaining a state of ketosis. It’s one of the best drinks to have for intense training sessions.Check Price on Amazon
- Effective BCAA formula
- A significant increase in workout performance and muscle building
- Delicious and refreshing taste
- Easy to dilute and mix
- Some have complained about its sweetness
- Complaints of slight stomach upsets
The Benefits Of Keto Protein Powders
With the many types of protein sources to choose from when on a keto diet, why invest in a protein powder? Here’s why:
Easy to Prepare
What I love about protein powders is that I can get my protein fix without having to cook. All that is needed is water and a blender to make a shake. It’s that easy—and no mess—perfect as a meal replacement if you’ve got no time.
Get Your Protein Fix and More
Obviously, protein powder contains pure protein and other amazing nutrients that heighten performance. With keto-friendly protein powders, they contain fewer carbs and sugar that has you feeling fuller for longer. It’s a perfect pre-workout drink to energize the body and can be taken right after a routine workout to get those muscles pumping.
Lose Fat and Preserve Muscle
Studies have shown that those who reduce their calories and take a protein powder have lost more body fat and preserved muscles compared to those who don’t. With the proper intake of protein and protein isolates, you’ll be able to shed the pounds correctly. And since you’ll feel fuller for longer, you won’t have to worry about exceeding your caloric intake.
Better Size and Strength
Even if you hit the gym quite often, you still won’t be able to reach your weight loss goals and build muscles without proper nutrition. A study shows that those who consume whey protein powder have had better muscle strength with increased fat-free mass.
What to Look For
Using protein powder safe for the keto diet is beneficial but only when you choose the right one for you. It isn’t just about looking for the one with the most reviews. Below are some tips and factors to consider when searching for the best keto protein powder.
Obviously, you will want something that is both low in carbs and high in protein. Read the nutritional labels carefully—avoid any protein powder that has ingredients that are hard to pronounce and contains hidden sugars.
Consistency and Taste
I naturally can’t consume something if it doesn’t taste good! There are tons of flavors available like cookies, chocolate, or even vanilla. What you choose will depend on your taste buds. I personally prefer a powder that’s easy to mix and with a creamy consistency.
Effectivity and Quick Release
Choose a protein powder that comes with all the nutrients needed to ensure both quick release and effective workouts. Focus on protein isolates, which are known to quickly release the nutrients in your body—great for before and after workouts for muscle enhancement.
Size and Price
Sure, some protein powders can be quite expensive, but that’s because they come in large packages and with quality ingredients. I recommend that you purchase in bulk to save more. In addition, measure the price with the quality and size of the protein powder you choose.
Tips on Using
Now that you know why a protein powder is an excellent investment and how to choose the best one, here’s how to use it to reach your fitness goals.
- Mix your protein powder with water, flavored fluids (I love it with milk!), or into your fruit smoothie.
- For those on a keto diet, I recommend mixing it with greens, full cream, and blueberries if you want to make it into a fruit smoothie.
- It’s best to take it right after a workout because that’s when your muscles will need it the most.
- To build muscles, consume within half an hour of finishing your training session.
- You not only need to take your protein powder after a workout but before as well.
- It can be taken as a meal replacement if you have no time to prepare lunch or dinner.
- Remember that even low-carb protein powder brands still contain carbs and sugar, so consume in moderation to avoid ruining into a state of ketosis.
If you’re on the keto diet and want to ensure that you reach your weight loss goals while retaining muscle mass, then consider investing in a protein powder. You’ll get your recommended protein intake without having to hassle with cooking or prepping food. It’s quick, delicious, and comes with a ton of other nutrients to help you build a healthy body as you work out.
Out of all the keto friendly protein powder brands tried and tested, the best one goes to the Optimum Nutrition Platinum. What makes it the best choice for me is that it doesn’t only come with a whopping 30 grams of pure protein per serving but it has hydrolyzed whey protein isolates. This means that the protein will flow through my body quickly, giving more energy and a satiating feeling. It is easy to mix and with no aftertaste. It’s a significant investment that works incredibly!
Hopefully, this article will provide added tips to amplify your keto diet food list!
Do you have any questions or would like to share your reviews or experiences using a low-carb protein powder? Please share below!