Whether you brunch with your bros, family or colleagues, having a meal at home means eating in your night suit, and best of all, no waiting in line!
Here are some delicious dishes you can make for your Sunday brunch:
Glazed Oatmeal-Maple Scones
- 1-1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup pecan halves
- 1/3 cup cold heavy cream
- 1 cold egg
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons water
- 1-1/4 cups rolled oats (old-fashioned)
- Heat the oven to 350 Fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Bring together oats, powder, flour, baking soda, pecans, salt and raisins in a low speed mixer for 10 sec.
- Next spread pieces of butter over this mixture and whip it again for 30 sec.
- Mix cream, maple syrup and egg in bowl and then place this mixture into butter mixture, mixing on low speed for 20 sec.
- With a scooper, drop scoops of this dough into the baking sheet. You want to have eight scones no more than two inches apart. Bake this for 30 min.
- Now cool it for another 30 min.
- In the meantime make the glaze by mixing the maple syrup, sugar and enough water to make the glaze smooth in a bowl.
- After the 30 min, bring the cones back to the sheet, and drizzle the glaze over them with a spoon.
Beef with Black Bean and Chili Sauce
- 600g fillet steak, cut into 10mm slices
- 5g sugar
- 50ml mirin
- 75ml oil
- 30mm piece ginger
- 1 thinly sliced white onion
- 2 long red chilies, cut into thin strips
- 3 cloves sliced garlic
- 30ml mirin
- 25ml black bean sauce
- 50ml soy
- 5g brown sugar
- 5ml vinegar
- Half red pepper, thinly sliced
- In a bowl, bring together mirin and sugar, then add beef and cover the mix for 20 min in refrigerator.
- Heat up a wok with some oil until it begins to smoke.
- Add half of the beef, stir fry 30 seconds, then remove from heat.
- Repeat with the other half.
- Add the remaining oil and the vegetables, stir fry 30 seconds then add the beef and all the liquids and sugar.
- Stir fry another 30 seconds. You can now serve this meal with sesame seeds and chopped spring onions
Spinach & Cheese Strata
- 1 pound spinach
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 ounces grated Gruyère
- 12 ounces Italian sandwich bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 ounces grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 2-3/4 cups half-and-half
- 9 eggs
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1-3/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Squeeze the liquid out of the spinach then Melt butter in pan at medium heat, add onions and cook for 5 min, stirring.
- Add garlic and spinach, cooking for another 2 min.
- Spread a third of the bread cubes in a buttered baking dish and top evenly with one third of spinach mixture.
- Add in one third of each cheese. Repeat layering twice, always ending with a cheese.
- Next, beat eggs in a bowl and throw in the salt, half-and-half, nutmeg, mustard, and pepper and whisk it all well.
- Pour the custard mixture over the strata, which you will then cover with plastic and chill for an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Bake the uncovered strata until it is golden brown on top, 75 minutes.
- Cool it for 15 minutes before serving.
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 small, over-ripe banana
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- Sliced bananas
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons low fat milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Vegetable oil
- Unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Maple syrup
- Bring together sugar, flour, salt, and baking powder in a bowl.
- Next, grind the banana to smoothness in a separate bowl.
- Add in the eggs, milk and vanilla, blending well.
- Add banana mixture and melted butter into flour mixture.
- Fold batter until it’s blended just right.
- Heat a pan over the medium setting until hot and put some butter and one tbsp. vegetable oil onto the griddle, swirling.
- Relieve the batter by 1/4-cupfuls onto the griddle, keeping a 2 in space between pancakes.
- Cook 2 min.
- Flip pancakes over and cook 2 more min then place the pancakes onto a serving plate.
- Do the same with the rest of the batter.
- Serve pancakes while still hot, adding maple syrup and sliced bananas.
Brunch Cocktail—Bloody Mary
- 2 parts Absolut Vodka
- ¼ part Worcestershire Sauce
- 3 parts Tomato Juice
- ¼ part Lemon Juice
- 1 teaspoon Horseradish
- 1 pinch Salt
- 1 pinch Ground Black Pepper
- 2 dashes Hot Sauce
- 1 stick Celery
For this brunch cocktail, mix ingredients in a mixing glass and pour this into a chilled highball containing ice cubes. Make sure to garnish with celery. Looking for something more exotic? Discover more brunch cocktails here.
Make It Count
Next time you want to make one of your brunch get-togethers extra special, try out one of these items.